Sunday, January 4, 2015

Me and Angelina

Friday I met with the genetic counselor and learned that I have the BRCA2 mutation. The news was both surprising and not surprising. I suspected it, given that my mom and I both developed cancer before 40. But I had also reserved some mental space for Cruella to be just a really unfortunate coincidence.

So what does it mean? My takeaways from the genetic counselor:
1. There's a high risk I'll develop another, unrelated breast cancer. Some research suggests 60%?
2. There's a higher than normal risk of developing ovarian cancer--about 20%.
3. I can either have a double mastectomy or treat the current cancer and follow up with an MRI or mammogram (alternating) every 6 months. (And then treat any new cancers that may develop.)
4. I should have my ovaries and Fallopian tubes removed to prevent ovarian cancer.

I really didn't prepare myself for that last bit of news. Take out my ovaries?! Wow.
 Medically-induced menopause. I need to treat the cancer first, but I'll likely be having the oophorectomy later this year.

I'm pretty certain I will have a double mastectomy. I'm putting off thinking about what that will be like, how I will feel, what the recovery will entail. Right now I'm in decision mode. Trying to not FEEL. It's just too big.

(Angelina Jolie inherited the BRCA1 mutation. You can read about it in her own words here.)

***

I spent a few hours this weekend sewing up a new library tote bag and a couple zipper pouches (including this adorable coin purse) for my BFF's birthday. Three different zipper methods in 24 hours. Whew! I used this AMH honor roll print with this linen mochi dot by MoMo for Moda for the tote. Love both of these fabrics mucho much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment